Friday, February 24, 2012

Valentine's Day Part 2: Recap, Raspberry Souffle, and Chris Matthews



Valentine's Day was both successful, and incredibly enjoyable. Heeding my own advice, I went for a menu that was easy enough to pull off, and delicious enough to make the occasion feel special. The meal was a beautiful strip steak with carmelized onions and sherry pan sauce that we split, with sides of roasted brussel sprouts and crispy roasted potatoes. Classic, not too heavy--due to the reasonable sized portions--and thoroughly satisfying. There was candles, a hand penned note, and a good deal of comfort. I think Ash enjoyed it thoroughly, and I know unequivocally that I did too.





Dessert is something that we both have a deep seated affinity for, so a Valentine's Day would never have been complete without a sugary flourish to finish. Raspberry souffle with chocolate truffle center, chocolate gelato, classic truffle, raspberry sauce, and whipped cream. It was fun, tasty, and romantic. Small portions, and a light-as-air souffle made sure that we weren't left in a food coma.




A few days later I heard a funny blurb from Chris Matthews, political pundit and host of Hardball, wherein he officially made the, "oops, I said something stupid" list.

“I don’t watch television the way most regular people do, meaning most people come home, they’re tired they go in the living room, maybe they watch T.V. while their wife, in some cases, making dinner, or the husband — in some weirder cases — is making dinner.”


Apparently Chris Matthews hasn't checked his calender recently enough to realize that the year isn't 1956. I like cooking dinner. I am also a man, which in Chris Matthews' eyes, makes me weird. Don't get me wrong, I have said plenty of stupid things in my lifetime, and in most cases people have pointed out my folly, so Chris, I am here to point out yours. Wake up, don't be an idiot, and realize that people take many different approaches to life. You should probably let them. What world are you living in that a man making dinner seems weird? Not only do I enjoy making dinner, but also enjoy romantic flourishes along with it. I'm comfortable with that, and I won't ever question that decision, based on the ramblings of a man that is obviously out of touch with the America that he wants to comment on. I'm glad I never bought in to this line of thinking, or my Valentine's Day dinner never would have happened, and that would have been tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment