Monday, March 26, 2012

What Are Your Favorite Things To Eat?



I find it somewhat comical that I titled a blog post in the form of a question to readers, knowing full well that I am about to answer it myself. So, what are my favorite things to eat?

-Pizza.
-Asparagus, in season, with a bit of butter.
-A delicious steak, with a nice pan sauce.
-Vanilla Ice Cream.
-Roast Chicken.
-A simple plate of pasta.
-Cured meats.
-A lightly dressed salad of ripe summer vegetables.
-A juicy peach.
-Apple Tart.
-Noodles and Cabbage.
-Really good tacos.
-Slow cooked pork, in all its myriad styles.
-A good burger.
-Chinese Stir Fry (that is pretty broad, but just go with it).
-Fresh bread with butter or olive oil.
-Oysters.
-Dumplings, either potstickers or soup dumplings.
-A perfectly ripe tomato with sea salt, and perhaps a touch of pepper.
-A delicious piece of fish grilled, fried, baked, or poached, it matters not. Simply seasoned.
-Caramelized Onions. Just put them on something, and I will probably like it. They make burgers better, pizza better, and they take tacos to the next level.
-A steaming bowl of delicious ramen.
-Chocolate Chip Cookies.
-An ear of sweet corn.
-A bacon, egg, and cheese. Deli style.

I am sure there are things that have eluded my mental faculties, escaping my memory, but sure to pop up at the most random of times. Think for a second, what is on your list? More importantly, why is it on your list? If this is your last week to eat, what is on the menu?
For me there are two primary things going on with the foods I have listed. The first is that many of them conjure up memories in some form or fashion. It isn't even a case of specifics remembrances of times gone by, but an underlying tone of place and attitude that informs the enjoyment of their consumption. Secondly, these are things that are simple and delicious. Easy to eat, easy to enjoy, and hard to resist. There is a reason why so many of these things are classic dishes that people consistently return to. Just because fast food is a scourge on society and good eating, doesn't mean that burgers aren't totally amazing. Pizza Hut simply isn't good, so don't confuse it with pizza, or let it taint the real article made in a caring way. Don't judge any of these foods by their worst incarnations, but instead think of the times when they were spot on. These are the things I would want for a last meal. I like elaborate fancy food, but its not what I crave deep down in my bones. I love sushi, but its not the thing that I would hunger for if the clock was ticking down to zero. Instead I would opt for a perfect bowl of ramen, another Japanese classic, but far different in what it evokes emotionally. That's just me, perhaps you are different. Once and a awhile is great for certain things, but this list could be it for the rest of my life, and I would be totally okay. Almost. I crave simple, done the best way possible, with care, and a whole lot of love. What do you crave?

Over the next few months I will talk about each of these foods. I will cook them, and I will report on why I love each one so very much. Hopefully you will give me some inspiration or recommendations to add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment