Saturday, December 10, 2011

Snickerdoodles, John Legend, Brooklyn Decker, and The Legend Of Andy Roddick


I just turned on The Cooking Channel and saw John Legend making cookies with his model girlfriend. What?! John Legend, R&B crooner, confidant of Kanye West, rolling cookies on The Cooking Channel as part of a cookie exchange cocktail party show?
I'm not sure how I feel about this, but in honor of his appearance, and the classic faces he was making as his girl was talking nonsense throughout the show, John Legend's classic album Get Lifted will be on as I write this. He also makes the top slot in today's Listening To, so congrats to you John. As a side note, Brooklyn Decker (yes of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover fame as well as movies) also made an appearance on the show. Now Brooklyn is incredibly beautiful, and obviously a big star, so what is she doing on The Cooking Channel? Not even The Food Network (which has become almost entirely unforgivable these days), but instead, it's minor league sister channel. Cooking Channel is quite good in its programming, so to see Brooklyn Decker making cookies was strange to say the very least. As she talked about how she could never really these cookies unless she wan't working, I began to feel used. I mean, would I want a vegetarian who occasionally slipped to show me how to cook a steak? Listen, I'm sure Brooklyn is a nice girl (though her husband Andy Roddick was questionable when I met him during his Mandy Moore days. He was pretty much 'that guy' in a club. True Story. Despite all this, watch any press conference after an Andy Roddick loss and you will be entertained. The dude is kind of funny.), and maybe she even bakes at home once in awhile, but come on! I will take Ina Garten making cookies any day, in her hushed tones that exude care and attention to detail. When the Barefoot Contessa whips up a batch of cookies you know they are good (plus I secretly want to be Ina's neighbor because she is always bringing her neighbors food. As if living in the Hamptons wasn't awesome enough, these people have The Barefoot Contessa dropping by with a picnic basket loaded with delicious treats.)


Oh well, most people probably thought it was completely freaking awesome. What is funny is that the whole reason I workout is so that I can eat cookies. Am I stuffing my face constantly with cookies? No. But I like to get in enough physical activity that I don't have to worry about whether I can have a couple cookies. So let's make some. With the holidays coming up you can't go wrong with a Snickerdoodle, and there is clearly no cookie with a better name.



Snickerdoodles
(Adapted from a recipe by Joanne Chang, owner of Flour Bakery in Boston, MA. If you ever get a chance to go to any of the three locations, seize the opportunity, because her products are hella good. Plus she is super gangster having graduated from Harvard with honors and then said, "I think I would rather be a pastry chef." Go out and buy her book it is pretty amazing.)

12 oz. (2-2/3 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. table salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tbs. ground cinnamon

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar to blend. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and 1-1/2 cups of the sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes (I like to beat the butter longer than most people say. If seems to make for a better cookie. We will call it the Milk Bar technique). Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the eggs until thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl again. With the mixer on low speed, slowly blend in the flour until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
In a small bowl, mix the cinnaamon and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into the cinnamon sugar and roll around to coat. Set the coated balls of dough about 3 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake until golden brown on the edges and slightly soft in the center, 15 to 18 minutes (I go shorter rather than longer, because I like a soft Snickerdoodle). Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 1 minute before transferring them to a rack to cool.


Listening To: John Legend- Get Lifted
Jay-Z+Kanye+Adele Mixtape- New York, Chicago, London
Black Keys- El Camino
Singles Soundtrack (I love the 90's)
The Joe Rogan Experience Podcast

No comments:

Post a Comment